Contact your local authority to find out what you can recycle where
What does 'reduce' mean
Waste reduction means taking steps to decrease the amount of waste that we produce. For example, when you are out shopping say no to carrier bags and instead use reusable bags/bags for life to carry your shopping home.
Waste that is not created in the first place does not need to be reused, recycled or disposed of, so preventing or reducing waste is the most sustainable and environmentally beneficial thing you can do with your waste.
Reducing your waste is a good thing to do because it:
- Reduces demands on natural resources
- Reduces the need for landfill
- Saves energy and reduces the risk of climate change
- Can save you money
Here are some simple ideas of how to reduce the amount of waste you create at home:
- Love Food Hate Waste – cut down on the amount of food you waste by making a few simple changes to the way you buy, store and prepare your food.
- Smart Shopping! When you go shopping choose refills for products that offer them e.g. fabric conditioner, air fresheners, this will help to reduce the amount of rubbish you produce;
- Smart Living - There are loads of simple changes you can make around the house to reduce the amount of waste you produce.
- Junk Mail
- Real Nappies
- Home Composting